STANLEY STREET TAVERN
Synonymous with the "STANLEY VAULTS"
|RED AND WHITE CHEQUERS|
Red and white tiles were used on the fronts of a number
of inns and taverns over the years.
It was formerly a tradition to paint on the door posts of every public house, a
square of red and white compartments like a chess board. This was a very
ancient symbol extending as far back as the Roman Empire; but its meaning
at that time has never been clearly ascertained. It may still be seen in Pompeii.
The Chequers became a common sign for country inns, and the probability is that
the custom was adopted to denote that the house had been duly licensed, a field
'arg' and 'gu' being the arms of the ancient family of Fitzwarren, the head of which
house, in former times, had the privilege of licensing the houses of vintners and publicans.
|This photograph, courtesy of Pat Bird, is of a fishing party, taken in about 1919 outside|
the Lime Kiln Inn. The men in the photograph don't all look as though they are going
fishing, and it isn't known where they were going to do their fishing. The notice in the right
hand window indicates a fishing contest, but whether it was sea-fishing or coarse-fishing isn't known. They were, of course, just 20 yards from the canal, so it could have been there!
|Preston Chronicle 4th February 1832|