Thought to be a play on the word 'ball'
ie. "GOLDEN BALL"
|The left hand end of New Street was where the Cenotaph now is, and the length of|
New Street ran through the old Post Office building towards the Fish Market.
Just a tiny, narrow street, but with three pubs in it!
1834 Mr. Riley
|Preston Chronicle 18th January 1834|
There was some corroboration for this in the
Preston Chronicle 28th May 1838, when there
was a further reference to Mr. Riley, but on
this occasion calling the pub the, "Golden Ball."