NEW MATERIAL FROM READERS

Readers who have material that they are prepared to share on this site, should send it to me at srh.steve@aol.co.uk

This could take the form of family history details, stories relating to a property, or a photograph. All additions will be credited in the way you prescribe.


A new addition could benefit YOU! and vice versa; so, please keep it coming.

Follow by Email

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

BLIND FIDDLER, 43 North Road

BLIND FIDDLER
43 North Road
*
MINE HOST:
Pre- 13.2.1841     Thomas Green
*
Preston Chronicle  13th February 1841
*
Any information or queries to

GUILD TAVERN, 3 Carlisle Street/20 Park Road

GUILD TAVERN  (G.T.)
3 Carlisle Street / 20 (later 41) Park Road

Synonymous with the Bold Dragoon  (B.D.) with the change of
name occurring around the time of the 1862 Preston Guild.
*
MINE HOSTS:
1838     B.D.        Richard Page
1841                    John Livesey
1851                    John Richmond
1851 - 53            Richard Page  -  also seen written as Richard Pye.
1861     B.D.       Joseph Greenwood    d. c2.10.1863  aged 54 years.
1866                    James Blackburn
1869 - 71           George Greystone (Grayston, Grayson)
1871     G.T.       William Swarbrick  - William Swarbrick married Ellen Lund in 1857; it was her brother William 
                                                                               Lund who was the brewer. William Swarbrick himself although technically 
                                                                               the landlord continued to work, as he always had, as a joiner. pp Dave Swarbrick
1874 - 75           Thomas Sim [Simm]
1875                   John Sumner
1876                   Hugh Taylor
1876 - 77            James Crook
1877                   Joseph Mason
1881                   Thomas Foster
1882                   Thomas Billington
1883                   Harriet Nightingale
1884 - 89           William Nixon (Nickson)
1889                   John Edward Smalley
1890 - 91           Alfred Shaw
1891 - 95           John Akers
1895 - 98           Thomas Rigby
1898 - 99           William Brownlow
1899 - 1900       James Ogden
1900 - 01           Charles Hardy
1901 - 02           Jane Halliwell
1902                  Margaret Radcliffe
1902 - 04          Margaret Ellen Kerr
1907                  Peter Mansfield -  owned by Albion Brewery of Burton on Trent.
At the 1870 Licensing Sessions, there was an objection made to the licence because there was a communicating door between the beerhouse and a provision shop. Licence granted.
*
 
Preston Guardian  19th June 1869
*
AN OFFENDING BEER-SELLER
William Swarbrick, landlord of the Guild Tavern, Park Road,
was charged with supplying drink during prohibited hours. It
appears that about twenty minutes to eleven o'clock on Sunday
morning, the 3rd inst., the defendant's son was seen by P.D. Dawson 
and P.D. Charnley, to supply drink to a woman at the back door, 
which she took away in a bottle. The case was proved, and
the defendant was fined 20s and costs.
Preston Guardian 16th December 1871
*
MARY ELLEN HELENA WILLIAMS, a hawker, was
charged with being drunk and disorderly the previous
evening, in Mrs. Heap's Arkwright Arms.
PC Eteson had been called in to expel her, and when
inside, the prisoner, who was drunk, was striking at
a man named Foster, landlord of the Guild Tavern,
Park Road, with a pair of scissors. She would have
blinded him but for the officer, who diverted the blow, 
which he received in the shoulder. The charge of
drunkenness was withdrawn, but she was committed to 
14 days for the assault.
When leaving court she pleaded to be allowed a fire
in her cell.
Preston Chronicle  28th May 1881
*
Lancashire Evening Post   12th April 1907

*
CENSUS RETURNS
1851
Richard Pye                     56 years                        Beerseller                  b. Lancs?
Agnes Pye                       62                                 Wife                          b. Long Preston, Yorks.

1861
Joseph Greenwood         55 years                         Beerseller                  b. Hoghton
Sarah Greenwood           55                                  Wife                          b. Fishwick
Paul Greenwood              13                                 Son                           b. Preston
Mary Ann Greenwood     20                                 Daughter                           do
Sarah Greenwood           17                                  Daughter                           do

1871
William Swarbrick           37 years                        Joiner                        b. Garstang
Ellen Swarbrick               39                                 Beerhouse Keeper    b. Preston
Robert Swarbrick            13                                 Son                                    do
Sarah Swarbrick               7                                  Daughter                            do
William Lund                   30                                  Brewer                     b. Garstang

1881
Thomas Foster                30 years                        Beerseller                  b. Preston
Ellen Foster                     30                                 Wife                                  do

1891
Alfred Shaw                   37 years                        Beerseller                 b. Upton-on-Severn, Worcestershire
Mary Shaw                    37                                 Wife                         b. Nelson
*

BOLD DRAGOON, 3 Carlisle Street

BOLD DRAGOON
3 Carlisle Street / 20 Park Road
*
Synonymous with the Guild Tavern

It would appear that in 1838 it opened as the BOLD DRAGOON, and then between 1861 and 1871
the name was changed to the Guild Tavern. My guess is that it was in 1862, at the time of 
the Preston Guild.
*
TO BE LET
And may be entered upon on the 1st November next.

THE BEERHOUSE with PROVISION SHOP adjoining, situate in
Park Road, corner of Carlisle Street, known by the sign of the
 "BOLD DRAGOON."

The stock to be taken at a valuation. The present tenant is
retiring from business, having occupied the premises in the 
beer trade for twenty-four years.

Apply on the premises
Preston Chronicle  20th October 1855
*
The above sounds as though it could have been Richard Page, the 
earliest landlord I have a record of. Perhaps he had a manager on
the premises - see MINE HOSTS.
*
CENSUS RETURN
Described as the Bold Dragoon in the Census of 1861.
1861
Joseph Greenwood                55 years             Beerseller                  b. Hoghton
Sarah Greenwood                  55                     Wife                           b. Fishwick
Paul Greenwood                    13                      Son                           b. Preston
Mary Ann Greenwood           20                      Daughter                           do
Sarah Greenwood                  17                      Daughter                           do
*

NORTH WESTERN HOTEL, 33 Lancaster Road South

NORTH WESTERN HOTEL
33 Lancaster Road South
*
*

BOILERMAKERS' ARMS

BOILERMAKERS' ARMS
32 / 33 Lancaster Road South
*
Became the 'North Western Hotel' in 1871
*
Situated on the south side of High Street and the west side of Lancaster Road South.
*
MINE HOSTS
1867 - 77            Joseph Hoyle (owner Joshua Hoyle)
1878                    T. Hoyle [Preston Chronicle 28th December 1878]
1881 - 85             William Moon
1885 - 89             William Gorse
1889 - 98             William Singleton Ashburner.
1910                     Robert Hopkins
1913                     Ellen Ramsbottom
1917                     Robert Lockey   (Lackey)
 *
*
At the 1877 Brewster Sessions, a licence was granted to Joseph
Hoyle, "Brickmakers' Arms" 33 Lancaster Road South. 

This was a journalist's error.
*
 Preston Guardian   7th September 1889
*
CENSUS RETURNS
1871
Joseph Hoyle                      34 years                        Beerseller                    b. Preston
Mary J. Hoyle                     31                                Wife                                     do
Joshua Hoyle                       7 months                      Son                                      do

1881

1891

1901
Joseph Hoyle                     64 years                        Beerhouse Keeper       b. Preston
Mary J. Hoyle                    61                                 Wife                                     do
*

BOATMAN'S ARMS, 53 Marsh Lane

BOATMAN'S ARMS
53 Marsh Lane
*
The keystone over the stable-yard entrance indicated that the pub was built in 1900. Alfred Latus was the first
landlord. I think the Boatmans replaced an earlier pub, probably the Fly Boat Tavern.
*

MINE HOSTS:
1901 - 07            Alfred Latus - owned by Alfred Nuttall, Brewer, Blackburn.
1904                   Leonard Hargreaves  (These dates need verifying)
1910                   William Loud
1913                   John Wilson
1917                   Elizabeth Murray
1926 - 27           Joseph Silver
1932                  Alfred Newsham
1933                  Richard Kitchen Dickinson
1936                  Joseph Metcalfe
1940                  John  W. Bebb
1948                  Albert Carroll
*

*

BOAT HOUSE, 18 Bridge Street

BOATHOUSE
18 Bridge Street
*
Probably wants linking to another licensed dwelling.

MINE HOST
1838 - 1841      Lucy Lancaster
*
HELD TO BAIL - At the Town Hall, during the week, William 
Barwise, a shoemaker, of Russell Street, Richard Richardson, a
plasterer, of the North Road, James Sanderson, a piecer, of York Street,
and Thomas Hodgkinson, a butcher, of the Shambles, Lucy Lancaster, 
of Bridge Street, and Betty Calderbank, of Old Chapel Yard, have
been severally held to bail to keep the peace for 12 months.
      Preston Chronicle 26th June 1841
*
CENSUS RETURN
1841
Lucy Lancaster               35 years                 Beer Seller
Mary Lancaster               10                         Daughter
George Lancaster            10                         Son
     ?     Lancaster              4 months              Daughter
*

BOAR'S HEAD, Friargate Brow

BOAR'S HEAD
Friargate Brow
*
This inn is marked on a 1694 Map
held at L.R.O. (see below)
*
Anthony Hewitson, however, wrote the following in
his notes to the Preston Court Leet Records,
"The "Boarshead" was an inn, and presumably was, or 
stood on the site of, the present 'Boar's Head Hotel,"
near the top of Friargate" He then gave the entry, 
taken from the Records:
"Thomas Worden, Landlord at Boarshead, for suffering 
prople's carts to stand in public street at night, without
any Light at his Door, and for every offence after notice,
we amerce him 6s 8d."
                                                                                                 Court Leet Records October 23rd 1782
The evidence from the 1684 map seems conclusive that
the Boar's Head was on Friargate Brow at that time, and
would seem to lend weight to it being there 100 years later.
Pers. comm.
*
MINE HOST
1684     James Wittoll
1782     Thomas Worden
*
Fryer's Lane is now Marsh Lane.
The numbers in front of each of the premises is their frontage in feet.
*


BOAR'S HEAD, 6 Friargate

BOAR'S HEAD
6 Friargate
*
 A pre-War 'Boar's Head Hotel' with the tram lines still in situ.
*
*
*
MINE HOSTS:
1732                    Widow of William Walmsley  (Owner Mr Walmsley Showley)
1781                   Thomas Worden 
1782                    Robert Cardwell
1807                    John Scott
1807 -                  John Rogerson  d. 7.6.1813 in Blackburn. See below.
1814 - 1817        William Sherrington     d. 15.3.1817
1818                    Christopher Wilcock
1822                    James Wilcock
1825                    Robert Nickson (Nixon)
1835 - 45            John Blackburn
1850 - 65            Peter Howard    -  General News Room in situ in 1853.
1869 - 71            Richard Proctor
1873                    James Talbot
1874 - 78            James Bannister - wife, Martha, died 6.6.1877 aged 43 years
                                                            James died 14.8.1878 aged 48 years *
1880 - 90            William Seed    -  retired, and living at 15 Cross Street in 1901.
1891 - 1910        Joseph Rigby the younger
1913 - 27            Charles William Swift
1932 - 53            William Waldron
1957 - early 60s William O. Scott and G.M.Scott
1970?                  Jean Shipley
  ?                         Rory Liffen
*  On the 25.9.1878, a James Bannister was granted a licence, 'until a buyer could be found'
Could this have been a son, or other relative?
*
Lancaster Gazette  12th December 1807
*
DEATH:  On Monday last, in Blackburn, after
a long and tedious illness, which he bore with
patience and resignation, Mr. John Rogerson,
aged 66 years, formerly landlord of the
Boar's Head Inn, in this town.
Preston Chronicle  12th June 1813
It isn't known when he left the Boar's Head.
*
 Lancaster Gazette  27th August 1814
*
DEATH:  On Thursday se'enight, 
Mr. William Sherrington, of Preston, Innkeeper.
Lancaster Gazette  15th March 1817
*
Preston Chronicle  7th November 1818
*
*
Lancaster Gazette  14th December 1822
*
STORM
During the night of Sunday last, this town and neighbourhood was
visited by a storm of wind, accompanied by occasional heavy rain,
which exited considerable alarm amongst the inhabitants...... We 
have to record one instance of a hair-breadth escape of several 
members of a family from an instant destruction by the falling of a
chimney. A few minutes before three in the morning, Mr. Blackburn, 
landlord of the Boar's Head Inn, Friargate, who, with his wife and an
infant, and two other children, were asleep in a double-bedded room
in the attic storey of the house, was startled by a loud and unaccountable
crash. This apparent explosion was caused by the falling, a few yards
from his bed, of a stack of chimneys on the roof over an adjoining bedroom.

A king-post to the ridge-beam would appear to have thrown much of
the falling debris into the adjacent bedroom.
Preston Chronicle  28th February 1835
*
THE O'CONNELL TRIBUTE
A meeting of the Friends and Admirers of D. O'Donnell Esq., M.P.
was held at Mr. Blackburn's, Boar's Head Inn, Friargate, 
on  8th July 1835.
The "O'Connell Tribute Association"
P.WHITTLE
Chairman of the Association.
Preston Chronicle  18th July 1835
*
Mr. J. HARDY
Teacher of Dancing, from Edinburgh.
Respectfully intimates to the Inhabitants of Preston, 
that he will open a Class, at the Boar's Head Inn, on
Tuesday the 9th instant, to give instruction in this
useful and elegant accomplishment.

Days of attendance, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
from 9 to 11 o'clock in the forenoon.
Preston Chronicle  6th August 1836
*


*
Preston Chronicle  17th August 1844
*
Preston Chronicle  6th August 1853
*
TO CLOSE A TRUST
Sale by Auction on 20th October 1881:-
ALL that old-established and well-accustomed PUBLIC HOUSE,
called the BOAR'S HEAD, in Friargate, Preston, with the 
Brewhouse, Stables, Granaries, Washhouse, Outbuildings, and 
Land. The Boar's Head is situated in one of the very best 
thoroughfares in Preston, and has long been well-known as a 
favourite house. Early possession may be had. Stock &c., to be
taken at a valuation.
Further particulars may be had and a plan inspected on
application to Mr. THOMAS SMITH, the Durham Ox, Berry Lane,
Longridge; or Mr. HARRY BANNISTER, 9 Old Shambles, Preston.

                                            EDELSTON & Son, Solicitors, Preston
Preston Chronicle   24th September 1881.
*
Taken from the P.N.E. Handbook of the 1898 - 99 Season
*
PRESTON'S PIONEER
ODDFELLOWS.
Origin and Development.
Parent of American Societies.
To attempt to deal with the history of friendly societies in Preston, and to omit reference to the Duke of York Lodge of the Manchester United Parent Lodge, would be equivalent to preventing the play of Hamlet with the Prince of Denmark left out,
The Duke of York Lodge is the pioneer and parent lodge of the Preston district. Prior to it foundation the principles of Oddfellowship were unknown in the town. Recently the lodge held its 88th annual meeting, so it is apparent that it has seen many upheavals.
The first meeting was held in the Green Man Inn, Lord Street, and the ink in which the minutes were recorded is faded with age and the orthography has a quaint look.
Two extracts will serve to show the splendid spirit which animated the Preston Oddfellows of the early 19th century. They are:
'It was agreed that each brother of the lodge shall pay one shilling at the death of a brother to defray the expenses of his funeral, besides what can be allowed from the lodge.'
It was further agreed:
'That each brother of the lodge shall pay at the death of a brother's wife, one shilling to pay the expenses of the funeral.'
These minutes related to a meeting that was held on the 24th June 1816, but a short time after the opening of the lodge, and it will be readily conceived that by that time the accumulated funds of the lodge would not have assumed very great dimensions.
PROBABLE ORIGIN
In those days the only places to hear the newspapers read - for few could read - join in a song and talk over the affairs of state, were the public-houses. One company thus inclined met periodically at the Windmill Inn, Moor Lane, Preston, so early as 1812.
In 1813 a sort of membership was agreed upon, apparently to help any necessitous associate. This went n a few years, and it is probably not far off the book to suggest that from gentlemen animated by a spirit of fraternity, the Duke of York would obtain some of its first members. This, while not authentic, is distinctly likely.
The termination of the war with France by the victory at Waterloo, "On the memorable 18th day of June, 1815" brought  home to Preston many who had served in the militia, volunteer force and the army reserve, who had been called up for the defence of the kingdom.
Amongst those to return were Wm. Topping of the militia, and Samuel Pemberton of the rifle brigade, both of whom had been made Oddfellows.
DATE OF FOUNDATION
Doubtless these men were instrumental in obtaining the dispensation from the Abercrombie Grand Lodge, Salford, to open a lodge to be called the "Duke of York" at the Windmill Inn, Preston, on the 25th September,1815.
The bearer of the dispensation was P.G. Topping, and on the opening night four officers attended from Manchester and instituted some half a dozen members, amongst whom was P.P.G.M. George Ward, who died in 1866, but who will be well-remembered by the older members of the Duke of York Lodge.
When the Duke of York Lodge was opened, its nearest neighbour was the Lodge at Salford, and it had not the advantages of ready means of conference. Therefore the Duke of York started in somewhat isolated fashion.
EARLY  DIFFICULTIES
The Lodge had its early difficulties. There were few members, and cares were many, and the contributions of the members barely sufficed to meet the expenses incurred in relieving travellers passing through the town. Meanwhile, food was at famine prices, and work exceedingly scarce. Still the members struggled on.
By the year 1819 the lodged had changed its quarters, and in their new home, the Green Man in Lord Street, they formulated a dispensation destined to carry and extend the principles of Oddfellowship in the new world. It was conveyed to America by Bro. John Crowder of the Duke of York Lodge, and the seed thus set, ripened into the American Order, which in 1859 had a membership of 177,000.
The civil war played havoc in the ranks of the American brethren, but in 1869 the figures rose again, for there were at that time near 300,000 members in the western continent.
The 1822 Guild
Lodges of Oddfellows were numbered in the year 1820 each according to its seniority. The Duke of York became "seventeenth." In 1822 on the occasion of the Preston Guild we find it authentically stated that 250 Oddfellows walked in procession. At that time the strength of the Duke of York Lodge was only about 30, so that contingents from Blackburn, Bolton, Burnley, Chorley, Clitheroe and Wigan had to make up this, at that day, an exceedingly imposing array.
In the early days of the Duke of York there was considerable elasticity in several respects. In 1816 either 15s or £1. 1s. could be charged for initiation, it was optional, the contributions during the Lodge's first ten years were of a very irregular character, and sick grants were arranged in accordance with the necessity of the cases and the amount they could raise amongst themselves.
REGULAR  CONTRIBUTIONS
Tiring of this uncertainty the members, in 1826, commenced paying contributions at the rate of 3d per week first, and afterwards 3.5d per week, and giving benefits 8s per week for sickness and £10 at the death of a member of his wife. They did not scruple to make a funeral allowance for members' children.
Fortunately for the pioneer lodge the calls were few. They fulfilled their obligations, and in 1830 had a balance in the hands of the landlord of the Fleece Inn, whither they had removed. The balance was £36, the value being £1 per member.
The first doctor to the Duke of York Lodge was John Orrell, who was appointed in 1834.
Oddfellowship was gradually becoming popular, and in 1840 the Duke of York Lodge had 353 members, and a capital of £551.
PRESENT MEMBERSHIP
Its present membership is 231, and its meetings are held at the Boar's Head, Friargate. There is a decline in membership as will be seen by comparison, but in the matter of worth per member the lodge at present is in an infinitely better position than it was in 1840, for as against 353 members and £551, the lodge's membership are now 231 and £2,880 respectively. The two oldest members on the books of the Duke of York Lodge are aged 81 and 91 respectively.
At present the destinies of the lodge are guided by Mr. J.B. Newsham as permanent secretary, Mr. Thomas Hall Junior, who fills the N.G.'s chair, and other officials.
Preston Herald   6th February 1904
*
The pumps at the Boar's Head Hotel.

 A display at the Public Hall, advertising the outside
catering services offered by William (Billy) Waldron.
*
 Judging by the 'phone number, this could relate to the 1950's.
*
CENSUS RETURNS
1841
John Blackburn                   45 years                    Innkeeper                b. Lancashire
Ann Blackburn                    35                             Wife                                  do
Edward Blackburn              12                             Son                                    do
James Blackburn                  8                              Son                                    do
Mary Blackburn                   6                              Daughter                            do
Margaret Blackburn             4                              Daughter                            do
Elizabeth Blackburn              2                              Daughter                            do
John Blackburn                     4 months                 Son                                     do

1851
Peter Howard                     37 years                    Innkeeper                 b. Wigan
Margaret Howard               37                             Wife                         b. Walton-le-dale

1861
Peter Howard                     48 years                    Innkeeper                 b. Ince
Magria Howard                  40                             Wife                         b. Walton
Jane Stock                          24                             Servant                    b. Blackbrook, Lancs.

1871
Richard Proctor                  57 years                   Hotel Keeper (Vict)   b. Walton-le-dale
Mary Proctor                      56                            Wife                                       do

1881
William Seed                      36 years                    Publican                   b. Heaton, Lancashire
Margaret Seed                   47                                   ?                        b. Myerscough

1891
Joseph Rigby                      28 years                   Publican                    b. Preston
Mary J. Rigby                     30                            Wife                         b. Fulwood
Ann Rigby                            3                             Daughter                  b. Preston
Mary Rigby                          3 months                 Daughter                          do

1901
Joseph Rigby                      37 years                   Publican                    b. Preston
Mary Jane Rigby                 40                            Wife                         b. Fulwood
Mary Rigby                         10                            Daughter                  b. Preston
Helen Rigby                          2                             Daughter                         do
*


LEGS OF MAN, Gin Bow Entry

LEGS OF MAN
Gin Bow Entry

Thought to be synonymous with "The Board" and the "Ram's Head"

MINE HOSTS:
1812                 William Worden
1818                 Mary Worden
1821                 Peter Worden

1825 - 29         Peter Worden (as 'The Board')

*
The 1818 Dirrectory gave no name for Mary Worden's premises - it
was shown as a dash.

The 1821 record gave the name LEGS OF MAN.

The name for the later records gave the name 'The Board'.

There's nothing certain but I think the two are synonymous with one another.
*

TO BREWERS
TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE TREATY
__________________

At Peter Worden's, Gin Bow Entry.

The whole of the BREWING UTENSILS,
used by him, consisting of a copper boiler.
Preston Chronicle 22nd March 1828
*