2 Queen Street
|Not to scale! The gap between Leeming Street and the 'Garden Gate' was filled|
by St. Saviour's Church. There were gardens behind the pub, running down to the
backs of houses on Church Street. Hence, probably the name.
1825 Richard Barton (Un-named beerhouse at No.3 Queen Street, Baines' Directory).
1828 - 29 Richard Barton (Un-named beerhouse in Queen Street, Pigot & Co's Directory).
1840 - 41 Robert Sherliker - property owned by Walter Foss.
1841 John Higham
1851 John Miller
1851 Stephen Moss
1853 Agnes Moss
1861 James Coupe
1870 James Foster
1870 John Holliday
1870 - 71 John Worden
1871 William Hoskinson
1871 - 72 Thomas Wilson - (Wilkinson)
Licence objected to on the grounds of insufficient value (of the property).
It was only valued at a rental of £13 16s 9d P.A.
At the 1873 Brewster Sessions, the Chief Constable told the Magistrates that this beerhouse had been closed, and the premises bought by the Trustees of St. Saviour's Church, and pulled down.