NEW MATERIAL FROM READERS

Readers who have material that they are prepared to share on this site, should send it to me at srh.steve@aol.co.uk

This could take the form of family history details, stories relating to a property, or a photograph. All additions will be credited in the way you prescribe.


A new addition could benefit YOU! and vice versa; so, please keep it coming.

Sunday 19 February 2012

HAPPY COTTAGE, Higginson Street

HAPPY COTTAGE   #
Higginson Street
*
MINE HOST:
1838 - 41    James Wilcock
*
James Wilcock, beer-shop keeper, of Higginson Street, was called upon to answer the charge of selling, on the 17th February, half an ounce of tobacco, not being duly licensed. Mr. Elmey, officer of Excise, examined.
On the afternoon of the 17th February, I went to the defendant's house, and had a glass of beer for which I paid three halfpence. I was waited upon by a little girl, and after having the ale, I asked for half an ounce of tobacco, which was brought by the girl, and I gave Wilcock two-pence for it.
Cross-examined by Mr. Ascroft: It might be four min utes before the tobacco was supplied after I had asked for it. Mr. Ascroft addressed the Bench for the defendant, and called the following evidence: Alice Eastham examined: I was in Wilcock's house on the afternoon in question. I remember a person in the parlour asking for some tobacco, and Mrs. Wilcock said that she did not sell it, but could send for some. She then sent her little girl into Atkinson Street for it, and it was brought by her. There was only one person came into the parlour that afternoon.
Cross-examined by Mr. F. Armstrong: I did not see the witness McNaughton, nor can I recognise him.
Alice Wilcock was examined: I am the defendant's daughter; I recollect Mr. Elmey being at our house on the Monday after Shrove Tuesday; I fetched a pennyworth of tobacco from the shop in Atkinson Street; my father gave me a penny to fetch it, and when I took it to Mr. Elmer he gave me the penny.
Margaret Lancaster: I keep a shop in Atkinson Street; it is only 30 or 40 yards from Wilcock's house. I recollect the last witness coming for a pennyworth of tobacco on the afternoon of the 18th February; I know it was the 18th February, from the circumstance that my sister having settled a bill with me on that occasion.
Mr. F. Armstrong address the Bench, in support of the information. The Mayor said that the Bench had no alternative but to convict in the present case, in the penalty of £12.10s.
The magistrates, however, would be glad to join in a recommendation for a still further mitigation. They were quite disposed to do all they could in chocking offences against the Excise laws, but they thought the present was a very trivial case. The Bench rose after this hearing.
Preston Chronicle   18th May 1839
*
In 1861 there was a Thomas Wilcock at the "NEW GAS INN"
in Lawson Street. That was situated at the corner of
Higginson Street.  Could it be that these premises later
acquired the name "New Gas Inn?
*

No comments:

Post a Comment