HESKETH ARMS and CEMETERY HOTEL
Variously as: Blackburn New Road
421 New Hall Lane
Taken from "The Builder" of December 14th 1861
"The black parts of Preston."
......................At last, after passing a vacant plot with a board
notifying that it is building land to let, we come to a group of
ecclesiastical domestic buildings and the cemetery gates.
We take the former to be the Superintendent's lodge, but
we are mistaken. It is the "HESKETH ARMS and CEMETERY
HOTEL"! For a hotel to be so close to the lodge and entrance
gates of a spacious cemetery of 50 acres, with three chapels in it,
is an innovation for which we were not prepared.
1855 - 65 Ann Seddon
1868 William Crook d. 13.10.1868 aged 53 years. Moved from Red Lion
Hotel, Church Street, in July 1868.
1869 - 71 Barbara Sproat (Sprote in census)
1871 - 73 Christopher Alston
1877 - 85 Robert Aspden
1885 - 90 John Smith
1891 - 95 Alexander Henderson (given as ANDERSON in Court Register & Census)
1896 - 1907 Alexander Ferguson
1910 Thomas Crozier
1913 - 27 Fred Eteson
1932 John Ashton
1936 - 44 George Hulme
1948 Samuel E. Garrett
HESKETH ARMS & CEMETERY HOTEL
MRS. SEDDON begs to announce to the public that she
has REMOVED from the Prince Albert Hotel, Fulwood,
to the above newly-erected and very commodious Hotel,
situate adjacent to the gates of the New Cemetery, where
funeral parties will meet with every accommodation,
including excellent Stabling and lock-up Coach House.
Dinners, if ordered, on the shortest notice.
Preston Chronicle 15th December 1855
Preston Chronicle 7th June 1856
THE HESKETH ARMS & CEMETERY HOTEL
TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE TREATY
ALL that excellent and newly-erected INN or PUBLIC
HOUSE, known as the "Hesketh Arms and Cemetery
Hotel" pleasantly situated at the entrance gates of the
Preston Cemetery, on the Blackburn New Road. The
house is remarkably well planned, very commodious,
and admirably adapted for an extensive business;
comprising on the ground-floor, dining room, breakfast
room, Tap room, parlour, bar and bar parlour, kitchen
and back kitchen, scullery, &c.In the upper storey
there are eight bedrooms. There is also excellent
Attached are good Stabling, Coach-house, Brewhouse,
&c., &c. The exterior is very neatly built with stone,
and of elegant design. In short, the whole is replete with
all necessary conveniences.
For particulars, apply to the owner on the premsies.
Preston Chronicle 7th March 1857
TO BE LET BY TENDER
For a term of years or otherwise, and entered on or
before the 1st May, next.
THE "HESKETH ARMS and CEMETERY HOTEL,"
in Ribbleton, nr. Preston, with all the outbuildings,
including good Stabling and Brewhouse.
The premises are close to the Cemetery, and to a
spirited individual are well-adapted got carrying on
a good trade.
Written proposals to be sent in on or before the
25th instant to MRS. SEDDON, the owner, on the
premises, or Mr. MATTHEW BROWN, brewer,
Pole Street, Preston.
Preston Chronicle 12th February 1859
HESKETH ARMS, CEMETERY ROAD
NOTICE, all accounts owing to the late WLLIAM CROOK,
are requested to be sent in as soon as possible; and all accounts
owing to the said WILLIAM CROOK must be immediately
paid, or lawful proceedings will at once be taken for the same.
Direct to Mrs. KING, Cemetery Hotel, Cemetery Road, near Preston.
Preston Chronicle 24th October 1868
I'm not sure why they gave the address 'Cemetery Road.'
It's not the only occasion either, but 'Cemetery Road' was never
applied to any road close to this hotel.
BARBARA SPROAT, landladt of the Hesketh Arms Hotel,
near the Cemetery, was fined 5s for selling drink during
prohibited hours on Sunday 25th April 1869.
Preston Chronicle 8th May 1869
SALE BY AUCTION on 25 / 3/ 1890
LOT 5 All that Freehold, valuable, and well-accustomed
Fully-licensed HOTEL, or PUBLIC HOUSE, known as the
"Hesketh Arms" and "Cemetery Hotel," on the north side
of New Hall Lane, Preston, and close to the entrance of the
Preston Cemetery, with the Brewhouse, Coach house, Stables,
Outbuildings and Yard; also, the excellent Bowling Green at
the back of the said premises, and now in the occupation of
Mr. JOHN SMITH as tenant. This Lot contains 3, 643 sq.
yards of land or thereabouts. Possession can be given
Preston Chronicle 22nd March 1890
It's interesting that the name FERMOR is given in this advertisement, for the full name of at least part of the HESKETH family, is FERMOR-HESKETH.
Preston Herald 30th August 1890
Ann Seddon 53 ? years Lic. Vict. b. Chipping
Ann Seddon 29 Daughter b. Preston
Amelia Seddon 27 Daughter do
Barbara Sprote 42 years Publican b. Scotland
David Sprote 40 Brother / Assisting do
Hellen Marganson 20 General Servant b. Preston
Robert Aspden 39 years Publican b. Preston
Margaret Aspden 35 Wife do
Nancy Aspden 14 Daughter do
Robert Aspden 12 Son do
John Aspden 5 Son do
William Aspden 4 Son b. Ribbleton
Mary E. Aspden 3 Daughter do
Thomas Aspden 1 Son do
Alice Aspden 1 month Daughter do
Alexander Anderson 43 years Hotel Keeper b. Scotland
Marie Anderson 39 Wife b. Stockton, Durham
Emma A. Bulmer 19 Niece b. Gainsborough, Yorkshire
Sarah Logan 26 General Servant b. Glasgow
Thomas Crozier 46 years Publican b. Walton-le-dale
Agnes Crozier 52 Wife / Assistant b. Preston
Thomas Crozier 24 Son / Barman do
Elizabeth Crozier 22 Daughter-in-law / do
Henry Crozier 21 Son / Barber do
Joseph Smith 73 widower Father-in-law / do
Assistant on bowling green