Readers who have material that they are prepared to share on this site, should send it to me at

This could take the form of family history details, stories relating to a property, or a photograph. All additions will be credited in the way you prescribe.

A new addition could benefit YOU! and vice versa; so, please keep it coming.

Follow by Email

Monday, 6 February 2017


Variously as 45, 62 and 65 Back Lane
[At the corner of Snow Hill]

1813       It was apparently quite a common occurrence for Church Services to be held in inns, and in 1813, whilst a movement for subscriptions towards building Trinity Church was going on, the executive committee met weekly in the Woolpack Inn, every Monday evening.
1812 - 14              Joseph Pratt   d. 14.11.1814 in Liverpool.
1814 - 18              Elizabeth Pratt    married in 1818. Don't know whether she stayed on here. See below.
1821                     Thomas Prescot
1824                     John Townsend
1825 - 32              Jacob Hall
1836                     Richard Wilding  [L.R.O. DDCL/1183/12]
1840 - 41             James Fowler  -  Fined 40s plus costs for 'allowing bad characters to assemble in his house. His licence was forfeited by the conviction.There must have been an appeal against that decision because he was still at the Woolpack in 1841.           Preston Chronicle 8th February 1840
1850 - 57             William Townley Atkinson  d. June 1862 at the White Bull Inn, New Street. Wife Jane.
1860 - 62             Miles Whittle
1863 - 65             A. & E. Walley  sic.   See article re Tobacco Robbery 11th April 1863, below.
1869 - 71             Elizabeth Whalley
1871 - 77             Thomas Whittle
1877 - 81             George Kinder  (George Rinton)
1881 - 82             Adam Blackburn
1882 - 85             William Dodgson
1886 - 95             Thomas Rooney
1895 - 98             Horrocks Spencer
1898                    Thomas McGuinness
1899 - 1900         Edward Greaves
1900 - 01             John Sharples
1901 - 05            Samuel Dickinson
1905                   Mr. J. H. Metcalfe
1905 - 07            Mary A. Metcalf
1910 - 17            Clara Bannister
1921 - 24            Arthur Bairstow
DEATH:  On Monday last, after a short illness,
at Liverpool, Mr. Joseph Pratt, of the Woolpack
Inn public-house, Preston.
Lancaster Gazette  19th November 1814
MARRIAGE:  On Saturday last, Mr. James Wilkin,
architect, to Mrs. Elizabeth Pratt, of the Woolpack
public-house, both of Preston.
Lancaster Gazette 18th July 1818
On Thursday evening, about 6 o'clock, Jacob Hall of
the Woolpack Inn, in Back Lane, was robbed of about
£150, which was taken from a drawer in one of the
chambers of the house. The room door, and the drawer,were both left locked, and found locked after the money was abstracted. 

On the race ground, hats were also changed and run off with, and several persons of both sexes had their pockets picked.
Preston Chronicle 16th July 1831
I think the race meetings on Moor Park, as well as the 
annual Horse Fair, attracted ne'er-do-wells to the town.
ALL person indebted to JACOB HALL, late of Preston,
Publican, deceased, are requested to pay the amounts oftheir respective debts to Miss. N. Hall, in her Straw-bonnetEstablishment, Syke Hill, Preston; and all persons to whomthe said Jacob Hall may be indebted, are also requested todeliver to the said N. Hall, a particular account of the amountof their claims, that they mat be investigated and settled.
Preston Chronicle 13th October 1832
Preston Constable  24th September 1836
An inquest was held at Preston, on Tuesday last, before Richard Palmer, Esq., Coroner, on the body of Thomas Mayor, aged 34 years. The deceased was employed as a Brewer, on the preceding day, at the Woolpack Inn, Back Lane, when at half past seven in the morning, he fell head foremost into the boiler. A man named James Fairclough was in the brewhouse at the time, and immediately gave an alarm which brought the landlord to his assistance, by whose aid he was got out as soon as possible. The water was very hot, and the deceased was consequently so dreadfully scalded that he died on the following day. The deceased was subject to fits. Verdict - "Accidental death"
Lancaster Gazette  8th October 1836
Preston Chronicle  9th May 1840
Preston Chronicle 24th April 1841
Sheffield and Rotherham Independent   1st May 1841
STEALING A SHAWL   -   Yesterday, an elderly woman, of the name of Ellen McVey, was committed to talk for trial, on a charge of stealing a shawl belonging to Elizabeth Holt, a servant at the Woolpack Inn in this town.
Preston Chronicle  17th July 1852
Preston Chronicle  11th June 1853
And there's more............
Lancaster Gazette   13th August 1853

Preston Chronicle  11th April 1863
Preston Chronicle  5th May 1855
Anthony Kaley, 19, was charged with cutting and wounding James Hoole, at Preston, on the 19th May.
Mr. Assheton Cross prosecuted.
James Hoole sworn. - I was near the "Woolpack Inn" in Back Lane, Preston, when I passed four men, whom I passed without making any remarks. I heard one of them say, "Let us go after that fellow and rump him." Three of the men came, and laid hold of me, and the other one stood by me. One of them said, "Cut the  ********** hands off." I was punched by some of them, and the prisoner took a knife out of his pocket, got hold of my hand, and cut my wrist. Cross-examined by the prisoner: I was drunk at the time. 
By the Judge: I am certain that he was one of the four, and that he was on the same side of the street as I was on.
Mary Clark. - On the 29th May, I saw some people running down the hill, and Hoole standing against the wall, and three or four kicking him. I said they were killing the man; and I caught the prisoner. Hoole was bleeding very much at the time. I did not see a knife in the prisoner's hand.
Sarah McKay was in Clark's house at the time in question, and followed the last witness out of the house, and on getting into the street saw Hoole bleeding. The prisoner was running away at the time.
Richard Hesketh, PC., went to Mile's Yard on the night in question, and saw the prisoner and some others. Hoole was not far off with his hand bleeding very much, and he was quite insensible through loss of blood. I sent him to the dispensary, and took the prisoner into custody. He made no reply to the charge until we got 40 or 50 yards, when he said I know nothing about it. As we were going along the road I observed the prisoner trying to get his right hand into his trouser's pocket. I searched, and found the knife produced in his pocket. There were no marks of blood on the knife, but there were spots of blood on the prisoner's clothes.
Ellen Moore, surgeon at the Dispensary, attended to Hoole, and found a clean cut wound which appeared to have been done with considerable force, for one artery, several tendons, and a quantity of muscle fibre were severed. Another artery was missed. It had been done with a knife, and not with a piece of glass.
Mary Clark recalled - The square of glass was not broken till afterwards.
The prisoner, in his defence called Philip Cane, who swore that he got hold of Kaley and while he had a hold upon him, Hoole raised his fist and drew it through the window, and when he tried to pull his hand back again, he cut it with the glass.
John Welch was called, but only produced what he called a settlement of the affair between the prisoner's mother and Hoole. His Lordship bade the witness stand down, and told him that if he was an accessory to that, it was compounding a felony and he was liable for indictment.
His Lordship summed up very carefully, and the jury found him guilty with intent to do greviou bodily harm.
The Judge said the prisoner was fortunate in escaping being tried for murder. The punishment, however, for this offence would be very severe, as the use of the knife must be put down. The sentence was that he had to be transported for the term of 15 years.
The court rose at 6pm.
Lancaster Gazette  11th August 1855
ROBBERY - On Monday, John Nolan and James Bell, two young men, were charged with stealing 10s or 12s, from the person of William Leak, a joiner, living in Brackenbury Street. The alleged robbery took place in Back Lane, near the Woolpack Inn, where both the prisoner's and the prosecutor had been drinking. Leak was knocked down, and the money taken from his pocket in a scuffle that ensued. They were committed for trial at the sessions.
Preston Chronicle  14th January 1865
Preston Chronicle  13th July 1867
Two men named George Turner and George Morland, were charged with robbing a man named Richard Nicholson, who said that he lived in Preston and was a pedestrian. On Monday, Nicholson met the prisoner Turner in Shepherd Street. He went to his house and had tea with him. They then went to the Woolpack Inn, where they met Midland. Nicholson paid for them some beer and cider. At that time he had £11 8s, in a purse on him. Whilst in the Woolpack he had occasion to pull the purse, containing the money, from his pocket, and afterwards he went out, and made his way to Liverpool Street. The prisoner's followed him, and commenced running. When he had got some distance he stumbled, and the prisoner's rushed upon him. Turner put his knees on his breast, seized his throat, and strangled him till blood flowed from his mouth. Whilst this was going on, the other prisoner ransacked his pockets. The prisoner's then ran away towards the Woolpack. Nicholson went to the police station and informed the police, who took the prisoner's into custody. The case was remanded until Friday, at which time it was again remanded until the following Tuesday.
Preston Chronicle  14th May 1870
THE WOOLPACK INN, Back Lane, Preston, TO BE LET, with immediate possession.
Apply on the premises, or to Messrs. Turner and Son, Solicitors, Fox Street, Preston
Preston Chronicle  3rd December 1870
THE  ERA    20th February 1892
 THE  ERA   22nd July 1893
THE  ERA   24th February 1894
TO BE LET, "WOOLPACK INN," Back Lane, Preston, full licensed; possession May next.
Apply, W. And H. Child, Hope Street, Preston.
Lancashire Evening Post  24th April 1897
Taken from the P.N.E. Handbook of the 1898 - 99 Season
At Preston this morning, Edward Parkinson was summoned for being drunk on licensed premises. Mr. P.H.Edelston was for the prosecution. The case for the prosecution was that PC Graham, while on duty in Back Lane on Saturday night, saw Corbett, a barman at the Woolpack Inn, 'go quickly into the house.'
On following him he saw Corbett trying to rouse Parkinson, who was lying asleep on a form in the taproom. When he got up the Constables saw he was very drunk. The defendant repeatedly denied that he was drunk. PC McGuire, who accompanied PC Graham, gave corroborative evidence. Inspector tors Wall and Harrison also spoke to Parkinson being drunk.
The defendant called the barman, who said Parkinson was not drunk. He asked him to go out because he thought he was 'a little fresh.'
John Could, 1 High Street, general dealer, said the defendant was not drunk, but 'a bit fresh.'
The defendant was fined 5s, and costs, or seven days in default.
Kuhn Sharples, the landlord of the Woolpack Inn, was summoned for permitting drunkenness on his licensed premises. The police repeated their evidence. 
Mr. Blackhurst appeared for the defendant, The landlord was in the bar whilst Parkinson was being got out. The defence was that Parkinson was not served with drink on the premises. The Bench considered the case proved, and fined the defendant 20s, and costs, or 14 days in default.
Lancashire Evening Post  19th July 1901
At an adjourned sitting of the Preston Borough Police Court, this afternoon, before W. B. Rideal Esq., Percy Allen, 22, clothier's assistant, was brought up in custody charged with having committed wilful and corrupt perjury while giving evidence the previous day on behalf of Samuel Dickinson, landlord of the Woolpack Inn, Back Lane, who was fined 10s and costs for being drunk on his licensed premises on August 13th. Mr. A. Blackhurst appeared to prosecute, and Mr. Oakey defended.
Mr. Charley, clerk to the Clerk of Justices, produced the information issued by the police in the case against Dickinson. Allen, he said, was called on behalf of the defence, and having been sworn, was warned to be cautious, as his evidence was being taken down in writing. At the hearing it became a material particular whether Dickinson had, or had not been in a beerhouse or public-spirited on the afternoon of August 13th. The prisoner swore he had been in company with Dickinson all that afternoon and evening, from 2 o'clock until 11 o'clock. In cross examination by Mr Blackhurst, on behalf of the police, Allen was asked if he knew Jane Collins, a man named Goring, Mrs Dawson, Mrs Dickinson, and Samuel Dickinson. The prisoner was again cautioned, and swore he was not in the Brunswick Arms on the afternoon in question, and further that Dickinson was not there. He also deposed that if the people mentioned said Dickinson was at the Brunswick Arms either in the afternoon or the evening, they were telling lies. Again cautioned, Allen denied he was in the Brunswick Arms, and stated that he went to the Fortune of War with Dickinson, and that he and Dickinson had gone straight from that house to the Woolpack Inn. The prisoner further said that on the afternoon and evening of the 13th, Dickinson was not in a public-house or beerhouse in Brunswick Street, and that he was in Dickinson's company the whole of that time. In cross examination by Mr Oakey, Mr. Charley said that at the time Allen was examined Dickinson had admitted that he had been at the Brunswick Arms.
Samuel Dickinson, landlord of the Woolpack Inn, spoke to meeting Allen at the trotting match at Carrington Park, New Hall Lane. On their return he and his wife, Thomas Goring, Jane Collins, and the prisoner called at the Fortune of War beerhouse, (Mill Bank), Church Street, and had a drink. He and Allen then went to the Horse Shoe and had another drink, and from this house, the prisoner and he visited the Brunswick Arms, where they also had a drink. They stayed about 20 minutes, and afterwards drove to the Woolpack Inn. He did not leave Allen's company from meeting him at the races to 11 o'clock that night.
Replying to Mr Oakey, the witness said that during the hearing the case against him a Constable swore that he did not speak to the witness's wife before speaking to him.
The Magistrates' Clerk said that did not affect the issue, and was not material. Mr Oakey dissented.
The Clerk: It is within Dickinson's power to lay information for perjury against the Constable if he thinks there is anything in it.
Mr. Oakey: I think it will be very material.
Mrs Dickinson, also called, gave evidence in support of the prosecution. She was cross examined as to the policeman's visit, but Mr. Rideal declined to admit the question, on the grounds that it was irrelevant.
The Clerk: Judges complain of matters being introduced into depositions which are not relevant to the issue.
Mr. Oakey: I mean to have it in one way or another.
Alice Green deposed to serving Dickinson and Allen with drink at the Brunswick Arms on the evening of August 13th.
Michael Mercer, cab-driver, gave evidence as to driving Allen and other people to the Brunswick Arms on the day in question, and from thence to the Woolpack Inn.
Warrant-Inspector Clayton, who arrested Allen in Friargate this morning, said that he made no reply in answer to the charge. The witness was present in court, and heard Allen make statements now forming the subject of the charge.
In answer to Mr. Oakey, Clayton said the prisoner had hitherto borne an excellent character. He belonged to a most respectable family.
This concluded the case for the prosecution.
Mr. Oakey then submitted that there was no case to answer. It was impossible to make out a charge of perjury against him. What possible bearing could the mere question, which was being tried today, have upon the issue of the case tried on Monday? The fact of a man being at a certain house could not possibly be "material to the issue" as to whether he was drunk at nine o'clock or 10.30pm on his own premises.
Mr. Rideal, interrupting, said that he had already ruled that the subject he was dealing with was irrelevant.
Mr. Oakey: I see you have made up your mind to send him for trial.
The Chairman: On the strength of the evidence before me, I am going to commit this man for trial.
Mr. Oakey: Very well, it is no use me wasting my breath or my time. It can be contended somewhere else, and probably somebody else will be with him at the same time and on a matter which is more material to the issue than this. Mr. Oakey proceeded to contend that at the worst Allen had merely told a lie and a lie only.
The prisoner was then committed to take his trial at the Manchester Assizes, bail being allowed.
Lancashire Evening Post  18th August 1903
METCALF  -  MRS. J. H. METCALF thanks her many Friends for their Kind Sympathy in her sad bereavement. Woolpack Inn, Back Lane, Preston.
Lancashire Evening Post  1st June 1905
 Preston Herald  22nd March 1911
Proceedings Before the Magistrates
Deceased's Son Causes a Scene in Court
Prisoner Committed to the Assizes.
The adjourned hearing of the charge against Peter McNeil, 47, barman at the Woolpack Inn, Market Street, of causing the death of Roger McGuire, 41, on March 20th, was proceeded with yesterday at a special Police Court, before Messrs R.E. Greenwood (in the chair) and W.H.Francis. Mr. Blackhurst conducted the prosecution, and Mr. Ambler the defence. The evidence was much in repetition of that given at the inquest and fully reported in the 'Herald.'
W. Rawcliffe, architect, residing at West Cliff, put in plans of the Woolpack Inn and neighbourhood.
In cross examination by Mr Ambler, the witness stated that it was impossible for a person standing near Parr's shop to identify anyone in the vestibule of the Woolpack Inn. Mr. Ambler observed that he put the question because one of the witnesses had said that it was possible.
Stephen Moran, outdoor labourer, said that at 5:15 on Monday afternoon, March 20th, he was in Market Street and saw the deceased and accused between the lamp at the corner of Snow Hill and the Woolpack Inn. They were stood up fighting, and McGuire attempted to kick McNeil, who retaliated by hitting him with his hand. Clara Bannister, the landlady of the Woolpack, then came between them and separated them. McNeil entered the vault door of the public house, and the deceased went to the front door, but was prevented by Mrs. Bannister, whose back the witness could see against the glass in the door. The door opened about 6 inches and a hand came out trying to strike the deceased, who came out of the house, took his pipe out of his mouth, and returned to the vestibule.
Mrs. Bannister was there and the deceased made a kick, at when witness could not say, but it made a sound as though his foot had struck a door. The witness saw a hand with a stick in it come over Mrs. Bannister's head and strike the deceased on the head. He saw the stick twice, but only saw one real blow.

After the deceased had been struck on the head with the stick, the witness saw blood on his face. In the meantime Mrs. Bannister continued trying to push out the deceased, who after the blow fell heavily into the street on his chest. Blood continued to flow from his head. He tried to raise himself, but could not do so. He was carried across the street and placed besides Halstead's lodging house, where he remained until the police came and took him away.
As regards the deceased's condition, the witness said that he had had some drink, but was not drunk.
In answer to Mr. Ambler, the witness said the he never saw McNeil again after he entered the vault. He never left the vault again until the police brought him out. He knew the witness, Highfield, who was standing near to him at Parr's shop door. He did not see McNeil try to get away from McGuire in the street. The latter was in a violent state. He was a big, heavily built, powerful man, but he (witness) had never seen him in his life before. From what he saw, the deceased would have been a danger to either Mrs. Bannister or McNeil if he had got hold of them.
Continuing, the witness replied to Mr. Ambler that McGuire fell on his chest sufficiently heavy to kill him. He had been the aggressor all the time at the vestibule door, and the others had been on the defensive.
John Highfield, spinner, 61, Market Street, who acted as lodging-house deputy for Peter Parr, spoke to seeing the accused go from the public-house to the Starch-house lobby, where he had seen McGuire go previously. When they came out of the lobby the deceased ran at and kicked at McNeil three or four times, and they both got on the footway near the lamp. McGuire again rushed at the accused, who pushed him away, and then Mrs. Bannister intervened. The witness proceeded to state similar details of the struggle in the vestibule as the former witness had given. This witness, however, stated that he could see McNeil with the stick produced in his hand. The next thing that happened was the two men got fighting in the vestibule, where McNeil hit McGuire on the head with a piece of wood, after which, blood ran down the latter's face.
The deceased then made several efforts to get into the vaults, after which the accused struck him again on the head. McGuire then stopped down on to the ground face forward, and lay there bleeding. The accused then ran from the vestibule into the parlour, where he stood looking through the window at the deceased in the street.
Cross examined by Mr. Ambler, the witness said that McGuire was violent enough to murder either Mrs. Bannister or McNeil. He knew the deceased, who was of a quarrelsome disposition  when in drink, and of a violent and dangerous character, and would not stop at anything.
Peter McGuire, the deceased's Son, who was at the back of the court, interrupted with the exclamation, "Liar."
The Chairman directed him to be put out of court, and he was ejected by the police.
Walter Heaton, iron-turner, 34, Snow Hill, said that in the street the two men were kicking and striking each other. The witness went near to the Woolpack door, and from there watched the disturbance. He saw McNeil hit the deceased twice, and after the second blow Mrs. Bannister pushed him, and he fell on his chest. All that McNeil had done was in self-defence.
The witness stated hat McGuire was in a savage temper, and McNeil was not quite so bad.
Edward Rainford, Weaver,  107 Geoffrey Street, gave further corroborative evidence. "The deceased," he said, "did not need much more, and he would have been drunk." He was wearing clogs.
Replying to Mr. Ambler the witness said before he was not the last time, the deceased was very violent, and carrying on like a madman.
Edward Clarkson, Carter, 3 High Street, gave evidence to the effect that he saw McaGuire bleeding from a wound under the eye before trying to enter the inn for the last time.
Clara Bannister, licensee of the Woolpack Inn, stated that the accused was her son-in-law, and decided with his wife and children at the inn. She related the quarrel in the street, and then went on to state that McGuire afterwards tried to get at McNeil, and she had great difficulty in keeping him out of the house. They were all very excited and she could not remember all that occurred. She remembered, however, McNeil saying to his wife, "This man is going to beat me; give me a stick." She did not see the stick or use it. She pushed McGuire off the doorstep, and he fell backwards. She only saw her son-in-law strike the deceased with his fist.
In answer to Mr. Ambler, the witness stated that the deceased was like a "wild tiger," and if McNeil had gone away and left her she might easily have been killed.
PC Cookson said that McGuire died in the ambulance on the journey to the Infirmary.
Dr. Pilkington, who had held a post mortem examination, said that death was due to cerebral hemorrhage caused by the rupture of a large vessel on the brain, probably an artery. Either a heavy blow on the head or a heavy fall, if the head came into contact with the ground, would have ruptured the blood vessel. A blow from the stick produced would cause the wound on the head, but it must have been very violent, considering the extraordinary thickness of the scalp and the quantity of with hair. The skull was not fractured.
Replying to Mr. Ambler, the witness said that the wound might have been caused by the deceased pitching forwards against the edge of the door. The state of the man's brain was not a healthy one. He would not say that the hemorrhage was caused by the fall, but the wound was a much more likely cause. Any sudden jar in the unhealthy state of the brain was likely to have occasioned a rupture of the blood vessels on the brain, which would have been more likely to rupture in a state of drink or violent excitement.
The accused pleaded "Not Guilty," and reserved his defence. He was committed to the Liverpool Assizes, bail being renewed.
Preston Herald  1st April 1911
Liverpool Jury's Verdict in
Preston Manslaughter Charge.

McNeil Found "Not Guilty"
At the Liverpool Assizes, this week, Peter McNeil (47) was charged with the manslaughter of Roger McGuire, at Preston. Mr. Gordon Heart and Mr. J. E.Singleton appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. London Riley defended the prisoner, who pleaded not guilty.
Mr. Gordon Heart explained that some time ago the prisoner married the daughter of Mrs. Bannister, licensee of the Woolpack Inn, Preston. He lived on the premises with his wife, children, and mother-in-law, the licensee. He was a man of good character.
On the other hand, McGuire, who was 47 years of age, was a man of violent disposition when in drink. He had been convicted on many occasions for assault, but no charge had been preferred against him since July, 1906. On the afternoon of Monday, March 20th, the prisoner had occasion to rebuke McGuire, who was misbehaving himself opposite the public house. McGuire resented his interference, and tried to kick McNeil, who thereupon tried to kick McGuire.
The couple were separated by the prisoner's mother-in-law. Shortly afterwards McGuire, who was under the influence of drink, attempted on several occasions to gain access to the public-spirited, but was kept out by the prisoner and Mrs. Bannister.
Finally the prisoner was heard to ask for "the stick," which counsel produced, remarking that it was a formidable instrument with a round handle and square sides, weighing 14 ounces. Whilst McGuire was trying to force his way through a folding door a hand was seen to come through the door and strike at McGuire, who, with face bleeding, left the house for a few minutes, but returned again, and fought with the prisoner in the vestibule. The prisoner, it was alleged, hit the other man three times on top of the head. McGuire became dazed and fell into the roadway.
The police picked him up in an invincible condition and he was removed to the infirmary, where he died shortly afterwards. When a Police Sergeant told the prisoner that he had better go to the police station he asked, "Is the man seriously injured?" The police sergeant having replied in the affirmative, the prisoner said, "I am obliged to protect myself and the house."
A couple of hours later the prisoner was charged with the crime, and he replied, "Oh, dear me! He is not dead is he? I am very sorry." He added that the cudgel was made for a 'bit of fun' by a man who was now dead.
The deceased was described as a bull-necked, powerfully-built man, had a wound two inches long over the forehead. The cause of death was hemorrhage of the brain, due to a ruptured blood vessel, and, according to the medical evidence, the injury might well have been caused by the cudgel produced. McGuire had suffered from a fatty heart.
Counsel told the jury that they would have to consider first of all what was the cause of McGuire's death, and, secondly was that which the prisoner did more than was reasonable and necessary for purpose of self-defence.
Dr. Pilkington, police surgeon of Preston, expressed the opinion that death could have been caused by a blow delivered with the cudgel produced or by a fall.
Police Sergeant Langtree agreed with Mr. Riley that McGuire was known to the police as one of the dangerous men of Preston. He was strong and powerful, and of ungovernable temper. The witness produced a list of twenty convictions against McGuire, fourteen of which were for assault.
At the close of the case for the Crown, Mr. Riley submitted that there was no evidence to show that the prisoner had acted unreasonably.
His Lordship said it was purely a question for the jury whether the prisoner did anything more than was reasonably necessary in defence of his person and his house. A man was entitled not only to protect himself against violence, but also to protect the his house. If the jury had then formed any opinion about the case in the prisoner's favoured they were entitled to express it; if not, the case must proceed in the ordinary way.
The jury promptly returned a verdict of "Not Guilty," expressing the opinion that the prisoner had acted in self-defence.
McNeil was then discharged.
Preston Herald  29th April 1911
 Lancashire Evening Post  14th February 1920
At Preston County Court, today, Arthur Bairstow, of the Woolpack Inn, Market Street, Presto, sued James Bodkin, 156 North Road, for the recovery of a marble clock, or its value, £2. 10s.
The plaintiff's story was that over two years ago he took the clock to the defendant for repair. Whilst at the defendant's shop the clock, which was a wedding present, was broken. The witness said that he was willing to take another clock of equal value. There was another clock in the window but the defendant would not get it out.
The defendant admitted liability, but said he had done his best to give the plaintiff satisfaction. Clocks like the broken one were not being manufactured now. The witness had tried all over the country to get one but had been unsuccessful.
Judgement was given to the plaintiff for the amount claimed.
Lancashire Evening Post  22nd February 1921
JAS. S. HOWARTH has been instructed by Mrs. Bairstow, owing to the licence having been referred for compensation, to SELL by AUCTION, on THURSDAY NEXT, the 17th instant, as follows:-
Three BAR TABLES, 30 inch, on iron frames; two Oblong Tables, Fenders, Spittoons, Ashpans, Measures and Crushers, Copper Urn and Copper Funnel, piping and connections: Curtain Rods, Glass Globes, Bird Cages, two Gas Fired, two Iron Bedsteads
Auctioneer's Office, 110 Fishergate, Preston.
Tel. 408
Lancashire Evening Post  15th June 1926

James Fowler                      30 years                       Innkeeper
Mary Fowler                       25                                Wife


Miles Whittle                       42 years         Innkeeper                   b. Walton-le-dale
Elizabeth Whittle                43                   Wife                              b. Kendal
Charles Whittle                     9                    Scholar                         b. Preston
Mary Ines                            21                     General Servant         b. Ireland
Patrick Kearns                   24                     Self-acting spinner               do
John Malone                      34                      Labourer                   b. Holme, Westmoreland

Thomas Whittle                   43 years                       Lic. Vict.                    b. Bamber Bridge
Alice Whittle                       40                                Wife                           b. Preston
Margaret Whittle                 19                                Daughter                              do
Mary Whittle                       16                                Daughter                              do
Thomas Whittle                   14                                Son                                      do
Ellen Whittle                        10                                Daughter                              do
Henry Whittle                       7                                 Son                                      do
James Whittle                       5                                 Son                                      do
Elizabeth Whittle                   4                                Daughter                               do

Adam Blackburn                36 years                        Publican                      b. London
Annie Blackburn                37                                 Wife                            b. Yorkshire
John George Blackburn      11                                 Son                             b. Accrington
Adam Blackburn                 7                                  Son                             b. Preston
Margaret Blackburn            6                                   Daughter                             do
Mary Jane Blackburn          4                                   Daughter                             do
Frederick Blackburn           3                                   Son                                     do

Thomas Rooney                39 years                         Innkeeper                   b. Ireland
Bridget Rooney                 33                                  Wife                           b. Warrington
Annie Rooney                   11                                   Daughter                    b. Stockport
Margaret Rooney              10                                   Daughter                    b. Derby
James Rooney                    8                                    Son                           b. Preston
Thomas Rooney                 4                                    Son                                    do
Sarah Rooney                    11 months                       Daughter                            do
Katie Rooney                    11 months                       Daughter                            do

John Sharples                    55 years                        Hotel Keeper             b. Preston
Frances Sharples               56                                 Wife / Assistant                   do
John Sharples                    29                                 Son / Assistant                    do
Beatrice Sharples              17                             Daughter / Assistant                 do
George Corbett                 35                                 Servant                               do
James Bulger                     27                                 Servant                               do
Walter Price                      25                   Son-in-law / General Labourer          do
Mary J. Price                    24                                  Daughter                            do
Harold Price                       3                                  Son (Grandson)                  do
Sirrell Price                         3 months                      Son (Grandson)                  do
Clara Sharples                   20                                 Daughter                             do 

Clara Bannister                 57 - widow.                   Lic. Vict.                    b. Huddersfield
Peter McNeill                   47                                  Son-in-law  /              b. Glasgow
                                                                              Manager for L.V.
Martha McNeill                34                                  Daughter                    b. Blackpool
George McNeill                13                                  Son                                      do
Hugh McNeill                   12                                  Son                                      do
Clara McNeill                   10                                  Daughter                              do
Ethel McNeill                     2                                   Daughter                   b. Preston
Lucinda Crossland            20                                  Cousin                       b. Huddersfield

No comments:

Post a Comment